[fpc-pascal] How to get fpc and lazarus sources when svn has shut down?

Dmitry Boyarintsev skalogryz.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 06:55:38 CEST 2021

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 12:27 AM Michael Van Canneyt via fpc-pascal <
fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

> It's like switching car brands from a VW to an Audi or so.
> Some buttons are in different places, your key will maybe look different,
> but that's it. It's a car, it brings you from a to b.

It's not switching brands, it's switching the type of the car.
from a passenger i.e. to a bus.
It's still a car, but the concept is a little different.

> A file version system manages versions of files.
> The actual commands differ a little, but that's it.

The human psychology. There were no particular problems for anyone to use
SVN.
It worked fine. So for the people it doesn't seem like an obvious reason
for the change.
The change is not recognized by the brain as a needed change, as a cure of
some sort.
Instead it's recognized as an unnecessary burden.
(unlike switching from CVS to SVN)

The same is happening with kids at school. They don't recognize the new
knowledge as something useful.
Instead they still treat the school as a burden.
---
In the software we for some reason prefer to stick to "backwards
compatibility"
No matter how much it affects a project. (it's considered that retaining
backwards compatibility is a positive effect).
However the same concept doesn't apply to the infrastructure for some
reason.

thanks,
Dmitry