[fpc-pascal] Re: RE : Re: RE : FPCUp FPC/Lazarus installer/updater: first Linux/Windows version released

Ludo Brands ludo.brands at free.fr
Sat Feb 11 10:30:32 CET 2012

> #!/bin/sh
> ~/wherever/we/installed/fpc -n
> @~/wherever/we/installed/fpc.cfg $* which should instruct our
> fpc to ignore any other fpc.cfg, use our own, and get any
> other arguments passed to the script.
>
> Then assign this script as the compiler in Lazarus?!?!
>
> (I suppose this might not work as Lazarus might be looking
> for other files in the compiler path!??!)

The script still picks up 2.4.4 but the idea is good. This works:

#!/bin/sh
~/wherever/we/installed/compiler/ppc386 -n @~/wherever/we/installed/fpc.cfg
$*

It picks up the right compiler but there is still a problem though: fpc.cfg
includes the units searchpath ~/wherever/we/installed/units/$fpctarget but
make install INSTALL_PREFIX=blah installs in
blah/lib/fpc/$fpcversion/units/$fpctarget. Running 'fpcmkcfg -d
basepath=~/wherever/we/installed/lib/fpc/2.6.1 ...' solves this.
Unfortunately 'basepath=~/wherever/we/installed/lib/fpc/$fpcversion' doesn't
work. Lazarus seems to be perfectly happy with the script (I installed it in
the fpc/bin directory)

> Alternatively, your other suggestion would be doable but
> sounds like a lot of work as well ;)

Your solution is much better once the paths are sorted out.

One other problem: the debugger is configured as gdb which is not working.
Lazarus looks for a gdb in the current directory (whatever that is), not in
the path. Using the output of 'which gdb' would be the easiest solution on
linux to set up the default gdb.

Regarding side by side installations, wouldn't it be better to store the
lazarus config in a subdir of the lazarus install? A fixed directory makes
side by side installation of lazarus very difficult.

Ludo