[fpc-pascal] Re: RE : Re: RE : FPCUp FPC/Lazarus installer/updater: first Linux/Windows version released

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 08:28:16 CET 2012

On 10-2-2012 18:23, Ludo Brands wrote:
>>> - (I hesitated to put this in the category "bugs") lazarus is
>>> configured to use (default on ubuntu) ~/fpc/bin/fpc. I have 2.4.4
>>> installed with a /etc/fpc.cfg and ~/fpc/bin/fpc will just launch
>>> 2.4.4. Changing the compiler to ~/fpc/compiler/ppc386 and copying
>>> fpc.cfg to ~/fpc/compiler/ still fails because the compiler still
>>> picks up /etc/fpc.cfg. AFAIK the fpc.cfg in the compiler
>> dir will only
>>> be picked up when there is no .fpc.cfg in the home directory nor a
>>> fpc.cfg in the current directory nor one in the path specified by
>>> PPC_CONFIG_PATH nor a /etc/fpc.cfg. Detecting a conflicting fpc.cfg
>>> and warning the user would be nice.
>> Agreed.
>> If I understand the FPC User's Guide correctly, one could use
>> the -n option to tell fpc to ignore config files, then
>> specify the one we want with @. The question is, can that be
>> done with Lazarus - I suppose not... Would copying over the
>> newly installed FPC compiler's fpc.cfg to the installed
>> lazarus dir work?
>>

> I tried the latter but it didn't work.
What about letting fpcup write another shell script for fpc e.g.
something like:

#!/bin/sh
~/wherever/we/installed/fpc -n @~/wherever/we/installed/fpc.cfg $*
which should instruct our fpc to ignore any other fpc.cfg, use our own,
and get any other arguments passed to the script.

Then assign this script as the compiler in Lazarus?!?!

(I suppose this might not work as Lazarus might be looking for other
files in the compiler path!??!)

Alternatively, your other suggestion would be doable but sounds like a
lot of work as well ;)

Regards,
Reinier