[fpc-pascal] Support Interfaces

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Mon Sep 17 10:35:37 CEST 2007

Op Mon, 17 Sep 2007, schreef Stephen Dickason:

> >> I'm new to the multi-OS programming environment and wondered if there was
> >> some documentation on the different interface mechanisms used in FPC?
> >Please elaborate. Interface as in the language feature regarding
> >interfaces between classes? Or operating system interfaces, i.e. API?
> >Daniël
>
> Sorry, I think I'm having a slow Monday.
> By interface mechanisms I meant: gtk, win api, gnome (???), etc.  Probably
> any existing/external api.
> There seem to be a lot that I haven't heard of yet and don't know which OSs
> and architectures they work on etc.

If you just want to start platform independend development I'd
just use Lazarus with the LCL, and choose between gtk/win api etc. with
the push of a button. The LCL is documented on the Lazarus web site and
that is all you need to worry about.

If necessary, you can access gtk, win api etc. directly from Free Pascal,
but you need to know how they work. You can find documentation on the GTK
and Microsoft websites, this is not provided Free Pascal. If you are a
beginner, don't worry about this, simply use the LCL.

> One of the open source program problems I have is the amount of reading
> required to understand what the program is supposed to do in a nut shell and
> where it does it.
> I am stuck with Windows XP and DG/UX unix for the moment, but want to move
> into linux (which version and gui will be interesting - pointers would be
> useful).
> Stephen

Lazarus should be perfect match for you. Simply install Lazarus, make a
quick program (explains itself mostly), and see if it suits your needs.

Daniël