[fpc-pascal] a suggestion...

Пётр Косаревский ppkk at mail.ru
Thu Jun 1 17:04:23 CEST 2006

> To save your time, you should limit your tests to:

It doesn't take much human time.

> 1. Command-line tools.
>     Creation of installs is automated.
>     GUI tools cannot be used in automated builds.
> 2. Completely cross-platform.
>     For obvious reasons.
> 3. Completely Open source.
>     For obvious reasons.
> 4. Compress time should be definitely less than 10 minutes.
>     Sometimes we do 4-5 builds one after the other.
>     We simply cannot afford to wait 2 hours, and we never know
>     whether the next build will be the final one.
> Any solution that falls outside of this is not acceptable in advance.
> Michael.

>From first message:

1. rar,7z, bzip2+tar/bzip2+? (I used rar to create "ball"), gzip+tar/gzip+? (-"-)
      it depends on script writer
2. nothing is completely cross-platform, but all the four archivers provide executables (sources are great, but executables do work) for a good deal of platforms/systems (7z disclaims that executables are "official").
3. 7z, bzip2, gzip
4. ???                                  well, if the thing is not bigger than FPCsvn directory, they fit.

You didn't mention memory requirements.

However, bzip2 is already great for FPC-sized installs.