[fpc-pascal] a suggestion...

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Jun 1 15:48:27 CEST 2006

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, ???? ??????????? wrote:

> Correction: Rar produced 212 Mb on OO 2.0.2 sources, but using "force text compression" makes it produce 206 Mb with not really big time overhead.
>
>> Then try one of the last compressors as PAQ8, your OO 2.0.2
>> sources  will take days in compress, but i think you can get 140-150
>> MB or even less and is opensource too. But it isn't used out of
>
> First thing: I did neither think or believe, I just tested.

To save your time, you should limit your tests to:

1. Command-line tools.

    Creation of installs is automated.
    GUI tools cannot be used in automated builds.

2. Completely cross-platform.

    For obvious reasons.

3. Completely Open source.

    For obvious reasons.

4. Compress time should be definitely less than 10 minutes.

    Sometimes we do 4-5 builds one after the other.
    We simply cannot afford to wait 2 hours, and we never know
    whether the next build will be the final one.

Any solution that falls outside of this is not acceptable in advance.

Michael.