[fpc-pascal] a suggestion...

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Jun 1 17:53:44 CEST 2006

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, ???? ??????????? wrote:

>> To save your time, you should limit your tests to:
>
> It doesn't take much human time.
>
>> 1. Command-line tools.
>>     Creation of installs is automated.
>>     GUI tools cannot be used in automated builds.
>> 2. Completely cross-platform.
>>     For obvious reasons.
>> 3. Completely Open source.
>>     For obvious reasons.
>> 4. Compress time should be definitely less than 10 minutes.
>>     Sometimes we do 4-5 builds one after the other.
>>     We simply cannot afford to wait 2 hours, and we never know
>>     whether the next build will be the final one.
>> Any solution that falls outside of this is not acceptable in advance.
>> Michael.
>
>> From first message:
>
> 1. rar,7z, bzip2+tar/bzip2+? (I used rar to create "ball"), gzip+tar/gzip+? (-"-)
>      it depends on script writer
> 2. nothing is completely cross-platform, but all the four archivers provide executables (sources are great, but executables do work) for a good deal of platforms/systems (7z disclaims that executables are "official").
> 3. 7z, bzip2, gzip
> 4. ???                                  well, if the thing is not bigger than FPCsvn directory, they fit.

? I was talking about the time it takes to create the compressed file.
This should not

> You didn't mention memory requirements.

Because they are not an issue.

Time, command-line use and availability are issues.

> However, bzip2 is already great for FPC-sized installs.

Personally, I also think this can be used, but it should
be checked that this is available for all platforms.

Inno setup (for the windows installer) uses bz2, so that is
already a start :-)

Michael.