[fpc-pascal] Cannot build fpc on Raspberry Pi4B running PiOS 64 bit (aarch64 Linux)

Tomas Hajny xhajt03 at hajny.biz
Tue Nov 21 10:33:46 CET 2023

On November 21, 2023 8:33:55 +0100, Bo Berglund via fpc-pascal <fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

 .
>Here I lost you, is SF still in use? I thought that everything moved to GitLab
>some time ago?

SF is still used for distribution of releases, see download links on FPC web pages. This has nothing to do with migration of the source code repositories to GitLab - we never used SF for hosting our source code repositories.

>And is there something like "install" in Linux apart from apt install which is
>what I used?

Well, yes, you can obviously still provide installation packages independently from your distribution which may be delayed due to different release cycles.

 .
 .
>I always put my sources in a place like $HOME/devtools/fpc/x.y.z and
>$HOME/devtools/lazarus/x.y.z

That's fine.

 .
 .
>When installing from sources you have a hen-and-egg problem since you need a
>seed compiler on the pristine target system.

Yes, but we provide not only seed compilers (for some platforms), but also (more importantly) full FPC releases and also snapshots.

 .
 .
>I did not know that there is a library of seed compilers available on
>Sourceforge, I thought everything had moved over to GitLab nowadays, so where
>exactly can I find a binary download for PiOS 64 bit on SF?
>Where I have looked I only find old stuff like from 2021...
>
>https://sourceforge.net/projects/freepascal/files/Linux/3.2.2/
>Here are tarballs that by the size seem to contain a lot of stuff apart from the
>compiler itself.

Yes, there are full official releases provided by the FPC team and used by many FPC users.

Tomas