[fpc-pascal] Cannot build fpc on Raspberry Pi4B running PiOS 64 bit (aarch64 Linux)

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 08:33:55 CET 2023

On Sat, 18 Nov 2023 13:31:51 +0100, Sven Barth via fpc-pascal
<fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

>Bo Berglund via fpc-pascal <fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org> schrieb am
>Sa., 18. Nov. 2023, 11:32:
>
>> Today after realizing that I did the following on an RPi4B where I have
>> used apt
>> to install the fpc compiler so I could use that as the seed compiuler to
>> build
>> from sources.
>>

>Why don't you simply follow what I DID? First of deinstall that apt fpc
>again. Then download 3.2.2 for aarch64-linux from SourceForge, install it
>and add /path/to/where/you/installed/fpc/bin to your PATH (using "export
>PATH=/new/path:$PATH").

Here I lost you, is SF still in use? I thought that everything moved to GitLab
some time ago?
And is there something like "install" in Linux apart from apt install which is
what I used?

>Best pick in an installation path like /wherever/fpc/<version> and select
>"yes" when asked whether to adjust the fpc.cfg with $fpcversion, that will
>come in handy later.
>
>Next download the sources for 3.2.3 and extract them somewhere different
>than "/wherever/fpc". Change into that directory and execute the commands
>as I had written in my previous mail (you should be in the same command
>line session where you adjusted PATH for this to work otherwise you need to
>set it again). The INSTALL_PREFIX should be "/wherever/fpc/3.2.3".
>
>Next set your PATH again, but this time use the directory for 3.2.3 ("echo
>$PATH" plus selecting and pasting is your friend here, cause you don't want
>to *extend* your path, but replace it; or simply start a new console
>windows and append the path there now that I think about it ?).
>
>Now you should have a working FPC and you can compile Lazarus from source
>(sorry, don't know how to setup fpcupdeluxe to use an existing compiler,
>cause I don't use it).
>
>In Lazarus you then also need to set the path to your compiler.

I might have this wrong, but in that case I have been for many (10+) years...

I always put my sources in a place like $HOME/devtools/fpc/x.y.z and
$HOME/devtools/lazarus/x.y.z

And I use make install pointing to a place below $HOME as well...

When installing from sources you have a hen-and-egg problem since you need a
seed compiler on the pristine target system.

Usually I have been using a compiler from an earlier build on a similar system
but in this case I did not have one for 64 bit Pi-OS. First time on 64 bit.

So I tried using fpcupdeluxe instead with the results shown.

But then I checked if I could get the compiler via apt and that did succeed and
I could use it to build Lazarus itself.

And Lazarus works with this compiler on the target system.

Now I figured I had a seed compiler so I should be able to build a new fpc
compiler from sources using the commands I had always used in the past, but this
is where it went astray as shown.

I did not know that there is a library of seed compilers available on
Sourceforge, I thought everything had moved over to GitLab nowadays, so where
exactly can I find a binary download for PiOS 64 bit on SF?
Where I have looked I only find old stuff like from 2021...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/freepascal/files/Linux/3.2.2/
Here are tarballs that by the size seem to contain a lot of stuff apart from the
compiler itself.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden