[fpc-pascal] Teaching Kids Using Free Pascal

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Aug 27 11:14:55 CEST 2022

On Sat, 27 Aug 2022, Anthony Walter via fpc-pascal wrote:

> Some of you might not be aware, but I teach small groups of kids ages 8-16
> computer programming and digital electronics. When teaching programming I
> often use Free Pascal and Lazarus, and try to come up with exciting ideas.
>
> Over the past few weeks, I've taught my high school kids who have completed
> Algebra I programming using Linear Algebra. To help illustrate vectors,
> and matrices, I wrote a small program using Free Pascal to help them
> understand the sin(a) function.
>
> I thought I'd share the result:
>
> https://streamable.com/b5ojtt

A nice result, thank you for sharing this.

I talked to the chairman of the Free Pascal & Lazarus foundation and showed
your mail.

The subject of teaching kids how to program in Pascal and in particular using it for math
problems is something that is close to his heart (and to mine, as this is
exactly how I rolled into Free Pascal a quarter of a century ago).

He is also the editor of the Blaise Pascal magazine, and has published a
book by a dutch author that combines exactly these subjects:

https://www.blaisepascalmagazine.eu/product/books-computer-graphics-math-games-download-pdf/

I explained him your problem, and he agreed that the foundation should
assist in trying to solve this problem.

Therefore, for all:

If someone presents a solution that can be distributed with the compiler &
FPC which solves or considerably eases the problem (for instance a glue unit
that can be included to provide most of the missing symbols, some compiler
routines that aid...),  the foundation will add another $200 to the bounty
offered by Anthony Walter, subject to his and our approval.

Michael.