[fpc-pascal] Hello, new Pascal programmer. had a question!

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Tue Aug 31 21:43:28 CEST 2021

Although not likely in this case, I am visually impaired, use a screen
reader, and find the Lazarius IDE nearly unusable.  Of course, I've not
touched it in years, because my first attempt at using it failed
miserably, so for me, I simply use notpad, pico, nano, or text edit
(depending on what platform I'm using), and simply compile from the
command line for all of my pascal work. Possibly, the original poster is
facing a similar challenge, and only wants to learn console programming,
to keep things simpler. As already mentioned, OOP isn't really that
simple to wrap your brain around, especially if you're a new programmer,
and don't have the framework already built to understand how it all works.

I'd honestly love to use an IDE for programming, as it would cut down on
the amount of manual work required to get things done, but there are
precious few that work well with screen readers, and so generally we're
reduced to using text editors, and manual compiling.  Nothing wrong with
that method, it works, it just isn't as efficient as it might otherwise be.

Powerbasic has a decent IDE, and I'll sometimes use that when powerbasic
is required for a project, but I've gotten so used to command line and
text editors, I rarely even bother with IDEs, even when I know they work.

Powerbasic, FPC, java, python, gcc, and G++ are the languages I use most
often, and I think I'd be hard pressed to find something I'd be
comfortable with using all of them with a single IDE anyway, so I just
don't bother.