[fpc-pascal] Hello, new Pascal programmer. had a question!

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Tue Aug 31 16:32:31 CEST 2021

On Tue, 31 Aug 2021, Liam Proven via fpc-pascal wrote:

> For those of us who don't, though, docs that focus on doing that
> aren't much help.

Agreed!

> I am only really interested in FPC for one thing -- targeting Ultibo,
> a bare-metal runtime for the Raspberry Pi. I'm interested in trying to
> emulate some old hardware in bare-metal form on RasPis, and I have no
> interest in learning GUI app development at all.

I've never heard of Ultibo.  I'll have to check that out!

> So whereas there may be guides, manuals and tutorials that might be
> really good at explaining how to do object-oriented Pascal for GUI
> purposes -- they aren't much help at all if you're not interested in
> doing that.

The book that Michalis Kamburelis wrote, "Modern Object Pascal
Introduction for Programmers" is something you might want to look into.
It's not aimed at event driven programming or GUI interfaces.  I do think
that it's lacking information on how to use the FreePascal toolchain
though - that's just as important as the language itself.  You can't get
much programming done if you don't know how to kick off the compiler. :)

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007