[fpc-pascal] FPC Graphics options?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed May 17 08:01:11 CEST 2017

Am 17.05.2017 07:15 schrieb <noreply at z505.com>:

> On 2017-05-16 09:10, Jon Foster wrote:
>
>> I think the key word in Graeme's complaint is "game". And I'm willing
>> to bet that most of his envisioned gaming scenarios deal with a lot of
>> floating point math and the more advanced math functions. A quick
>> glance over his example code and I'm willing to bet that the "math"
>> unit providing the sqrt(), cos(), sin() and others is the bottle neck.
>> But that's just a knee-jerk reaction. Seems to me I read a while back
>> that a ton of effort had not gone into them.
>>

> Could those math routines just be written in assembly with a FastXXX
unit? i.e. FastMM is a fast memory manager, so you could have a FastCRT,
fastWhatever, FastMath...

> At one time the fpc system units or sysutils was written in a lot of
assembly, then they changed it to more pascal so it was more readable for
people like me who stay away from assembly :-)  Not because assembly is bad
or anything, I just like living in high level procedural land, instead of
low level assembly machine land.

It has nothing to do with readability. It's about portability instead as
FPC supports many different CPUs all with their own assembly language and
quirks.
Though that stops no one from implementing platform specific routines which
was done for some platforms (e.g. the x86 ones).

Regards,
Sven