[fpc-pascal] FPC Graphics options?

noreply at z505.com noreply at z505.com
Wed May 17 07:14:56 CEST 2017

On 2017-05-16 09:10, Jon Foster wrote:

> I think the key word in Graeme's complaint is "game". And I'm willing
> to bet that most of his envisioned gaming scenarios deal with a lot of
> floating point math and the more advanced math functions. A quick
> glance over his example code and I'm willing to bet that the "math"
> unit providing the sqrt(), cos(), sin() and others is the bottle neck.
> But that's just a knee-jerk reaction. Seems to me I read a while back
> that a ton of effort had not gone into them.

Could those math routines just be written in assembly with a FastXXX
unit? i.e. FastMM is a fast memory manager, so you could have a FastCRT,
fastWhatever, FastMath...

At one time the fpc system units or sysutils was written in a lot of
assembly, then they changed it to more pascal so it was more readable
for people like me who stay away from assembly :-)  Not because assembly
is bad or anything, I just like living in high level procedural land,
instead of low level assembly machine land.