[fpc-pascal] Food for thought - language string improvement

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Jul 9 23:16:42 CEST 2017

On Sun, 9 Jul 2017, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 2017-07-08 07:57, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
>> Since we are talking about language features, after learning Java I
>> think we could use in Pascal:
>
> I must say, after using Java more and more in recent months, it starts
> to show why so many developers call Delphi/Object Pascal out of date. [I
> never thought I would ever say that - I have a real soft spot for Object
> Pascal]
>
> The Java language has some awesome features and much less typing is
> required - yet not as cryptic as C/C++. The Java IDEs (primarily Eclipse
> and IntelliJ IDEA) also blow Lazarus and MSEide out of the water - but
> then they have a ton more resources at their disposal). Either way,
> those IDEs are a real pleasure to work with, and have so many programmer
> friendly features.

Would it be possible to give examples ?
Maybe there are things that can be done in Lazarus, and Pascal ?

I'm doing some work in a Java environment  myself lately, and I must
say I have not noticed anything of these 'language features'.
Lots of useful libraries, yes.  There I will not argue.

Michael.