[fpc-pascal] Implicit conversion problem with TDate type

Tony Whyman tony.whyman at mccallumwhyman.com
Wed Nov 2 12:53:35 CET 2016

On 02/11/16 11:29, Jonas Maebe wrote:
> On 02/11/16 12:09, Tony Whyman wrote:
>> It's an interesting concept i.e. if a bug exists in Delphi then it must
>> also exist in FPC. Perhaps a better alternative is to fix these sort of
>> bugs in FPC and  to introduce a "full Dephi compatibility mode" i.e.
>> mode Delphi plus the bugs.
>
> There is a difference between having a code construct that can be
> compiled in one mode and not in another, and code that has different
> behaviour in different modes. The former can be easily recognised, the
> latter is much harder. In particular, it complicates reading code,
> because you constantly have to be aware of the mode to know what the
> code means. The same goes for changing behaviour across compiler
> versions, and we have to do this way more often than I like.
There was a certain amount of sarcasm in my comment that perhaps got
lost in translation. I suggested introducing a "delphi with bugs" mode
to illustrate the absurdity of the idea. My point is that why should FPC
still feel constrained by Delphi? Let's get on and fix the bugs/features
that Delphi should have fixed long ago.