[fpc-pascal] Issues with fpc-build-3.0.0

Tony Whyman tony.whyman at mccallumwhyman.com
Fri Jan 29 13:24:16 CET 2016

I'm experimenting with building fpc from source in various combinations
and a couple of issues have come up which could be bugs or just me not
knowing which environment variables to set.

The build environment is a clean install of Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon (64
bit) with fpc 2.6.4 installed from the binary distribution.
fpc-build-3.0.0.tar.gz is then expanded into my home directory and I
start off by cd-ing into the directory and starting the build with:

make all NOGDB=1

This seems to happily build the compiler and libraries for the default
environment. I then do a test install with:

make install NOGDB=1 INSTALL_PREFIX=/tmp/fpc

All seems to be installed fine expect for two things:

1. Missing softlink.
==============

The make install does not add the softlink:

ln -s /tmp/fpc/lib/3.0.0/ppcx86 /tmp/bin/ppcx86

I originally came across this problem when installing over 2.6.4 when
everything was OK expect that the old softlink /usr/bin/ppcx86 had been
left in place with the result that the new compiler was being ignored
when I call "fpc -iV" (i.e. 2.6.4 was still the active compiler).

2. Package.fpc is not installed
=======================

This seems to affect all packages. The problem comes up when compiling
the lazarus sources. For example:

I now install fpc 3.0.0 with

make install NOGDB=1 INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr

and fix the softlink.

  extract a copy of lazarus 1.6.0rc2, cd to its directory and then run:

fpcmake

it fails with "Error: Target "linux", package "regexpr" not found".

I can maually create regexpr's "Package.fpc" and copy it to
"/usr/lib/fpc/3.0.0/units/x86_64-linux/regexpr". Repeating the above
then results in the error "Error: Target "linux", package "fpmkunit" not
found" and so on.

For some reason the package Package.fpc files are not being generated by
the fpc build install process.

So, are these bugs or am I just missing something?

Tony