[fpc-pascal] Lazarus, FreePascal, and translated compiler messages

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Fri May 8 14:00:06 CEST 2015

Am 08.05.2015 11:39 schrieb "Stéphane Aulery" <saulery at free.fr>:
> With Frédéric Da Vitoria, we began to review the status of the translation
> of the FPC. We concluded that it is very difficult to maintain and not
very
> useful because it is not implemented with ressourcestrings. We have not
given
> up to translate, but one wonders if it will not fit first FPC for better
> support in the long term.
>
> I need your opinion on this issue, given that the interweaving with the
> TeX manual is also very problematic.

There are IMHO three reasons it is done the way it is:
- it has grown that way (probably from a time before FPC supported
resourcestrings)
- the IDs, the verbosities and the messages are located in one single
location avoiding a drift of these
- it is easy to generate the documentation as it's part of the same file

It might provide obstacles for translators, but it eases the work for the
compiler developers and IMHO that is the main reason to keep it the way it
is.

Regards,
Sven