[fpc-pascal] Re: fpc registry unit

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sat Mar 2 01:12:20 CET 2013

In our previous episode, John Lee said:
> Registry is not part of rtl because it's not a base unit???

Yes. The registry is not needed for bootstrapping the compiler, or
internally in the RTL. This is roughly the definition of the RTL, though
there is some history there.

On non Windows, registry also depends on, among others, the XML classes for
emulation

>This is my point it uses 200 other f*** units that aren't really needed!

Apparently they are needed, or otherwise they wouldn't be included.

> So you are saying if one wants a single 50 line unit & does a complex
> procedure eg installi ng 10^10 lines of fpc etc then it is simple?  And of
> course you have to do this for every version of fpc you want to use!

Yes. That is what is said yes. The most minimalistic scenarios are not
pre-prepared in the distribution. OTOH this was all the case with 2.2.2 too.

> And, of course as I've seen, the size of the .exe from  v2.2.2 cf v2.6.2 is
> twice as large because of all the c*** included by the various uses..

Another neverending debate. Enough has been said about this.

> This is all simple?  Not in my dictionary's definition! Dooooooh

Just install the distribution, and don't worry so much about EXE sizes, that
is the simple solution