[fpc-pascal] OT: Amazing new development tools

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sun Feb 26 12:17:46 CET 2012

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 11:43:38 +0100 (CET)
Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Feb 2012, Vinzent Höfler wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 19:15:54 +0100, ik <idokan at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I found the following amazing lecture that present a new idea of a
> >> development tool, that I think will interest you all:
> >>
> >> http://vimeo.com/36579366
> >
> > Impressive, indeed. And I am usually not that easily impressed.
>
> Impressed indeed. But IMHO limited to a certain kind of programming.
> The binary search part could probably be done for any kind of programming, I suppose.

I doubt that "any kind of programming".
He showed the simplest case: a function that only receives base types.
But most functions work on complex parameters - classes.
These need to be set up.
Either by writing a test environment or by taking a snapshot with the
debugger. Then you can run the function repeatedly.

The next step is to "compile" the function on every change.
Easy with an interpreter.
How to compile only one function of a big program and insert/replace
it?

The next step is to run the function and read every value change.
Easy in an interpreter.
For a compiled program you have to single step with the debugger.

> I don't see him doing this in huge corporate administrative business
> programs where hundreds of database tables are involved.
> They are hard to connect to or visualize :-)
>
> But visionary nonetheless.

+1

Mattias