[fpc-pascal] Free Pascal 2.6.0rc1 released

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Nov 25 08:39:28 CET 2011

In our previous episode, Bernd said:
> >> The branch fixes_2_6 still has the version 2.5.1. shouldn't this be
> >> set to 2.6.0-RC1.1?
> >
> > No. Only releases have even version numbers (RC or not).
>
> Thats why I wrote RC1.1 to solve this dilemma, to give it an odd
> number between RC1 and RC2.

There have been discussions in the past, and changing the version in fixes
early makes merging through (fixes for rc1 and final are merged from trunk
through fixes to their own branch) it harder, which is why I'm not a fan.

IMHO this is micromanaging with a vague "confusion" banner stamped on it. If
people are so easily confused, they should stay away from development
branches. Specially since fixes_2_6 is an exact copy of RC1 except for the
version, so there is no real motivation to use it.