[fpc-pascal] Free Pascal 2.6.0rc1 released

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Nov 24 18:25:15 CET 2011

On 24 Nov 2011, at 18:14, Bernd wrote:

> Yes, I understand the intention. But this leads to the dilemma that
> now the branch which is by definition always same or more advanced
> than the last release(candidate) from it still has a *lower* version
> number than the already released release candidate itself.

The RC moniker is only part of the long version number (2.6.0-RC1), not of the short version number (2.6.0). It cannot be made part of the short version number because e.g. in Pascal code, you can do {$if FPC_FULLVERSION >= 20600} (">= 20600RC1" does not make sense). It would also require installing the files for the RCs on unix platforms in lib/fpc/2.6.0-rc1/..., and hence different interpretation of the $fpcversion compiler macro etc. And having an svn development branch of which the short version number is 2.6.0 is what would really have the potential to create lots of confusion.

Jonas