[fpc-pascal] Free Pascal 2.6.0rc1 released

Bernd prof7bit at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 24 18:14:25 CET 2011

2011/11/24 Sven Barth <pascaldragon at googlemail.com>:
> It's not about the RCx, but about the 2.6.0.

Yes, I understand the intention. But this leads to the dilemma that
now the branch which is by definition always same or more advanced
than the last release(candidate) from it still has a *lower* version
number than the already released release candidate itself. Thats the
main thing that is so confusing about it. It also leads to the
necessity to modify the tag after tagging which is considered bad
practice. The branch should already have the RC1 version number at the
very moment of tagging and then move onwards from there so that the
branch version is always higher than the last tagged version.

I hope you can at least see now where I see the problem.

Its not so super important, it was just confusing to me because it
makes it somewhat inconsistent, thats why I suggested to make the
numbering and branching more consistent. Initially I really thought I
had gotten something wrong when I started using the 2_6 branch and it
installed itself into the old 2.5.1 directory, i intuitively expected
the 2_6 branch would also carry a 2.6 version number.

Bernd