[fpc-pascal] Re: pchar with more than 255 characters

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 15 11:31:12 CET 2011

Am 15.11.2011 10:39, schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
> On 15/11/2011, Sven Barth<pascaldragon at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> In this case the reason is simply backwards compatibilty (note: not Delphi
>> compatibilty :P ).
>

> But that's my point. I really don't think anybody is writing TP style
> programs any more. So wouldn't it make sense to change the default for
> the vast majority or programs written with FPC today?  Mode TP (-Mtp)
> can default to shortstring and mode Delphi or mode ObjFPC can default
> to longstrings?

The backwards compatibilty in this case is not for TP, but for FPC code
that uses ObjFPC, but not H+.

In the end you need to discuss this with Florian, Jonas or some other
senior dev who has the final say for this...

Note: mode Delphi already defaults to H+

> Just like I think FPC should default to mode ObjFPC (instead of mode
> fpc). Though I must admit, I have no idea what the difference are
> between those modes.

No classes, no try/except/finally and some other things maybe

Regards,
Sven