[fpc-pascal] Re: pchar with more than 255 characters

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 10:39:03 CET 2011

On 15/11/2011, Sven Barth <pascaldragon at googlemail.com> wrote:
> In this case the reason is simply backwards compatibilty (note: not Delphi
> compatibilty :P ).

But that's my point. I really don't think anybody is writing TP style
programs any more. So wouldn't it make sense to change the default for
the vast majority or programs written with FPC today?  Mode TP (-Mtp)
can default to shortstring and mode Delphi or mode ObjFPC can default
to longstrings?

Just like I think FPC should default to mode ObjFPC (instead of mode
fpc). Though I must admit, I have no idea what the difference are
between those modes.

  - Graeme -