[fpc-pascal] Re: Delphi's anonymous functions in Free Pascal

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Sun Nov 6 19:14:26 CET 2011

Am 06.11.2011 18:24, schrieb Jürgen Hestermann:
> Florian Klämpfl schrieb:
>> Am 06.11.2011 15:13, schrieb dmitry boyarintsev:
>>> Hi-jacking, the thread, and again should FPC chase Delphi forever?
>> You mix here result and goal. If FPC supports new Delphi constructs
>> depends on the fact if somebody provides a patch. No more, no less.
>
> I have the same feeling as Dmitry: There must be a time when FPC does
> not run after Delphi. Why not now?

Feel free to start a fork and we will see what will make it into trunk.

> Other changes were rejected too.

Yes. We reject patches to turn FPC into an OS, a C compiler or a coffee
machine. No, wait, I think we would accept the last one.

>> Just as an example: if somebody provides patches to support Extended
>> Pascal, FPC will support Extended Pascal, nobody did so in >15 years.
>> Result: FPC supports no Extended Pascal features.
>
> Actually the question is: *If* someone is investing time into something
> is this a useful investment? Or wouldn't it be be better to invest this
> time into other things, i.e. bug fixes?

This is everybody's decision. You decided also to write a lengthy mail
instead of submitting a patch to a bug report as well while the patch
would be much more usefull in my eyes.