[fpc-pascal] Global static vars in a procedure or function

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Mon May 9 21:37:03 CEST 2011

On 09 May 2011, at 21:24, Rainer Stratmann wrote:

> Am Monday 09 May 2011 21:17:17 schrieb Jonas Maebe:
>> On 09 May 2011, at 21:14, Rainer Stratmann wrote:
>>> I did not find it in the documentation. May be it can be added there.
>>>
>>> http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/ref/refse10.html
>>
>> It is mentioned there, in the remark at the bottom of the page.
> More exactly I mean to describe it there explicitly as a replacement of a
> static variable.

FPC/Delphi-style Pascal does not define the term "static variable" (except in the context of classes, although even there they are nowadays simply called "class variables"). The manual is not a tutorial for C programmers on how to implement equivalent functionality in Pascal. We don't do that elsewhere in the manual either.

> So if someone searches for that there are not only the
> results that critizise pascal for the lack of static variables :-)

If people don't like a language (any language, not just one or other Pascal dialect) and want to criticise it, they will always find bad things to say. The FPC manual is not the place to get involved into such petty debates.

Jonas