[fpc-pascal] Installing FPC 2.4.4 for Ubuntu / Mint +otherthoughts

Henry Vermaak henry.vermaak at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 23:38:08 CEST 2011

On 15 June 2011 22:08, Ludo Brands <ludo.brands at free.fr> wrote:
>> > Adding debian unstable repositories in Ubuntu is asking for
>> trouble.
>> > Next time you upgrade your packages you can be in deep s**t.
>>
>> Just make sure you pin the unstable repo lower than
>> everything else, then use:
>
> We were talking to make fpc easier to install for the average ubuntu user.
> This is as clear as mud for the average user I would say.

Then they need to accept that they will not be able to run the latest
release, just like every other "average" user.  This is the reality in
a stable distro.  Hopefully the "average" users will mature into
developers eventually and not shy away from editing a text file if
they wish to use the latest greatest version of their favourite
programming language.  For example, debian stable ships gcc 4.4.5,
which is quite far from being the latest release.

Also, please note that we are (hopefully) talking about people with
more savvy than your "average" user.

Henry