[fpc-pascal] OFF TOPIC - how I can migrate of Delphi to FPC

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 16:36:00 CEST 2010

On 15/08/2010, Marcos Douglas wrote:

> Zeoslib uses ADO too. So, it could be used with MS SQLServer.
>  I think Zeoslib is more faster than ODBC.

Yes, but I was thinking in terms of cross-platform. ADO doesn't exist
on other platforms other than Windows. But seeing that Zeoslib itself
is cross-platform, it should be easy to switch Zeoslib to use a
different database layer when the need arises.

>  >> 2- What the Report designer is more like with ReportBuilder?
>
> You said there are a few, but not wrote names! rs...

ReportMan - available on SourceForge
LazReport - available with Lazarus
FastReport - available on SourceForge (I think)
RTF Report - what our company uses. Available in fpGUI or tiOPF repositories
MSEgui Report - available with MSEide&MSEgui project.
I think there are a few web/java based reporting tools that could be used too.

>  Well, your solution to reports seems to be very good. Is it an open
>  source project? It is very interesting!

Yes, included with fpGUI and tiOPF. Currently I use tiRtfReport.pas
(reporting engine is a single unit) with tiOPF based apps, but it is
very easy to separate out the tiOPF dependency as it already has
support for any Data Objects or TDataset descendants as a reporting
source. It even supports multiple data sources, and you can extend the
reporting functions by writing your own functions and registering them
with the reporting engine.

> But the LCL has the advantage of being developed by the same team of
>  FPC.

Actually no, it isn't. FPC and Lazarus are separate projects with
separate development teams - though they do have a close relationship.

> Let's say it is "safer" to continue evolving.

fpGUI has company backing so it is definitely here to stay. MSEgui has
also been around for years too. Both fpGUI and MSEgui have stable
codebases, and fpGUI even has an increasing development activity
year-on-year so these projects are in good health (as is Lazarus LCL).
 :-)

See the project analysis sections done by Ohloh:

http://www.ohloh.net/p/fpgui
http://www.ohloh.net/p/11134
http://www.ohloh.net/p/lazarus

> I know you use tiOPF. You even sent me the sources in another mail :)
>  But I did not know you're a core developer of tiOPF. There is a SVN to update?

Yes, the project is hosted on SourceForge.net. See the tiOPF website
for more details.

  http://tiopf.sourceforge.net/SourceCodeRepository.shtml

> You uses this solution or just talk about what tiOPF can do?
>  If you uses maybe I could do a few questions about it in private?

We are planning to use the remote persistence layer early in the new
year, but I know of many Delphi developers that already use it.

>  The GUI toolkit is very important. MSEgui or fpGUI are very
>  interesting, but how many options of components they give us? Actually
>  I use JEDI and RX.

Both those projects have plenty of UI components covering just about
all types of projects. Obviously I can speak more for fpGUI, and can
comfortable say that new components are constantly added or existing
components improved on. Developing new components for fpGUI is really
easy too - and again guarantees that it works the same on all
supported platforms.

  - Graeme -