[fpc-pascal] OFF TOPIC - how I can migrate of Delphi to FPC

Marcos Douglas md at delfire.net
Sun Aug 15 18:58:07 CEST 2010

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15/08/2010, Marcos Douglas wrote:
>>
>> Zeoslib uses ADO too. So, it could be used with MS SQLServer.
>>  I think Zeoslib is more faster than ODBC.
>
> Yes, but I was thinking in terms of cross-platform. ADO doesn't exist
> on other platforms other than Windows. But seeing that Zeoslib itself
> is cross-platform, it should be easy to switch Zeoslib to use a
> different database layer when the need arises.

Because that I also asked about multi-tier. The server will be Windows
and the app uses SQLServer.
The app, today, is client-server. But I want change this. I want
implement an app server, on Windows, using SQLServer (I can't change
the RDBMS).

>>  >> 2- What the Report designer is more like with ReportBuilder?
>>
>> You said there are a few, but not wrote names! rs...
>
> ReportMan - available on SourceForge
> LazReport - available with Lazarus
> FastReport - available on SourceForge (I think)
> RTF Report - what our company uses. Available in fpGUI or tiOPF repositories
> MSEgui Report - available with MSEide&MSEgui project.
> I think there are a few web/java based reporting tools that could be used too.

Oh, thank you. I found one more FortesReport  :)
Which of these is more like ReportBuilder?

>>  Well, your solution to reports seems to be very good. Is it an open
>>  source project? It is very interesting!
>
> Yes, included with fpGUI and tiOPF. Currently I use tiRtfReport.pas
> (reporting engine is a single unit) with tiOPF based apps, but it is
> very easy to separate out the tiOPF dependency as it already has
> support for any Data Objects or TDataset descendants as a reporting
> source. It even supports multiple data sources, and you can extend the
> reporting functions by writing your own functions and registering them
> with the reporting engine.

Very interested. I found a link (yours):
http://www.mail-archive.com/lazarus@lazarus.freepascal.org/msg01785.html
You ported it to Free Pascal and fpGUI, very good.
You said the reporting engine is a single unit... the reports are
implement by code, not designer? In many times, I would like to
implement by code because the "visual designer" is limited. So, how
RTF Report works?

>> But the LCL has the advantage of being developed by the same team of
>>  FPC.
>
> Actually no, it isn't. FPC and Lazarus are separate projects with
> separate development teams - though they do have a close relationship.

Oh, I did't know that.

>> Let's say it is "safer" to continue evolving.
>
> fpGUI has company backing so it is definitely here to stay. MSEgui has
> also been around for years too. Both fpGUI and MSEgui have stable
> codebases, and fpGUI even has an increasing development activity
> year-on-year so these projects are in good health (as is Lazarus LCL).
>  :-)

Right... so, this projects are good options too  :)

> See the project analysis sections done by Ohloh:
>
> http://www.ohloh.net/p/fpgui
> http://www.ohloh.net/p/11134
> http://www.ohloh.net/p/lazarus

Thanks. I will see later to compare them.

>> I know you use tiOPF. You even sent me the sources in another mail :)
>>  But I did not know you're a core developer of tiOPF. There is a SVN to update?
>
> Yes, the project is hosted on SourceForge.net. See the tiOPF website
> for more details.
>
>  http://tiopf.sourceforge.net/SourceCodeRepository.shtml

Ok. You work in tiOPF2... thanks, I will get it.

>> You uses this solution or just talk about what tiOPF can do?
>>  If you uses maybe I could do a few questions about it in private?
>
> We are planning to use the remote persistence layer early in the new
> year, but I know of many Delphi developers that already use it.

Ok... so, maybe it works fine and stable!.

>>  The GUI toolkit is very important. MSEgui or fpGUI are very
>>  interesting, but how many options of components they give us? Actually
>>  I use JEDI and RX.
>
> Both those projects have plenty of UI components covering just about
> all types of projects. Obviously I can speak more for fpGUI, and can
> comfortable say that new components are constantly added or existing
> components improved on. Developing new components for fpGUI is really
> easy too - and again guarantees that it works the same on all
> supported platforms.

The fpGUI is compatible with Lazarus? I can install it in him?

Thanks,
Marcos Douglas