[fpc-pascal] OFF TOPIC - how I can migrate of Delphi to FPC

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Aug 16 13:30:16 CEST 2010

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Op 2010-08-15 18:27, Marcos Douglas het geskryf:
>> I never use ODBC/FreeTDS on Linux. This is stable? All resources have
>> been implemented like SP's, multi-SQL in the same instruction, etc?
>
> I don't know, I only used Unix ODBC for a data conversion application (MS
> Access -> Firebird). Unix ODBC has been around for years, so I assume all
> is well and implemented.

I've used ODBC on Linux to connect between OpenOffice and PostgreSQL.
Working from memory, I didn't have any significant problems which I
could blame on ODBC, so in general it's probably OK as a compatibility
layer.

Having said that, there are some server-specific things that it quite
simply doesn't know about, such as PostgreSQL's listen/notify actions.
Very often it is "extras" like that that drive ones selection of a
particular server, so one ends up having to compromise between on the
one hand using a compatibility layer to improve portability and on the
other using a server-specific library to be able to use all its facilities.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk