[fpc-pascal] Name for our license

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sun Jun 21 20:07:14 CEST 2009

On 21 Jun 2009, at 19:14, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> I to honest I do not understand the ins and outs of the various
> licenses, but I read the following on the wikipedia site. The the
> following (below) mean that LGPL v3 license is similar to the
> "modified LGPL v2" that FPC and Lazarus use?  If so, then what about
> moving to the LGPL v3 license instead?
>
> "Version 3 of the LGPL is constructed by applying a GPL linking
> exception to version 3 of the GNU General Public License (GPL)."

The LGPL mandates that end users must be able to relink a program with
different versions of the LGPL code. In practice, this amounts more or
less to the LGPL being the GPL with a
a) dynamic linking exception (dynamically linking a program with the
GPL requires the program to also have a GPL-compatible license), and
b) requirement that if you statically link against LGPL code, that you
provide the end users with all object and other files required to
relink the program with a different version of the LGPL code

The (static) linking exception to the LGPL (as used by FPC and others)
means that requirement b) of the LGPL is removed.

Jonas