[fpc-pascal] Lazarus settings and roaming profiles in Windows

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Thu Jul 16 14:25:30 CEST 2009

Mattias Gaertner schrieb:
> On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 10:30:23 +0200
> Jürgen Hestermann <juergen.hestermann at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>>> Jürgen Hestermann, how often do you change your working machine?
>> Well, I seldom change it [...]
>>
>> If I log off, the local profile is saved (partely) to the (Novell)
>> home dir and then the local Windows user is deleted completely (including the profile!)
>
> IMO: This type of sharing does not sound very suitable for a development
> machine.

I think roaming profiles are something very common in a commercial
environment? It is a very good solution for the typcial professional use
case where you use most of the time the same machine but sometimes you
switch the machine. During your daily work you don't have the bottleneck
of network/server access and when logging out, all data is stored again
on the server so backups can be easily made. It combines the advantages
of a networked home/profile directory and a fat client.