[fpc-pascal] Lazarus settings and roaming profiles in Windows

Mattias Gärtner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Thu Jul 16 15:34:20 CEST 2009

Zitat von Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org>:

> Mattias Gaertner schrieb:

>>> Well, I seldom change it [...]
>>>
>>> If I log off, the local profile is saved (partely) to the (Novell)
>>> home dir and then the local Windows user is deleted completely
>>> (including the profile!)
>>
>> IMO: This type of sharing does not sound very suitable for a development
>> machine.
>
> I think roaming profiles are something very common in a commercial
> environment? It is a very good solution for the typcial professional use
> case where you use most of the time the same machine but sometimes you
> switch the machine. During your daily work you don't have the bottleneck
> of network/server access and when logging out, all data is stored again
> on the server so backups can be easily made. It combines the advantages
> of a networked home/profile directory and a fat client.

Sorry for the confusion. Of course this type of sharing makes perfect
sense for office computers, stores and thin clients.
The user settings are *normally* only a few MB and are machine
independent, so they can be easily shared in whatever way you prefer
(copy/delete, network file system, etc...).
But development easily creates hundreds or thousands of MB. Sharing
this with with auto copy/delete on log on/off is not the best idea.
That's why I think there are better network sharing systems for
development machines (network file systems, incremental syncs, dfs,
...).

just my 2 cents.

Mattias