[fpc-pascal] Lazarus settings and roaming profiles in Windows

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Thu Jul 16 12:02:51 CEST 2009

>> If I log off, the local profile is saved (partely) to the (Novell)
>> home dir and then the local Windows user is deleted completely (including the profile!)
> IMO: This type of sharing does not sound very suitable for a development
> machine.

Our company has a world wide identical setup for computers. Deleting the
user and its profile on logout prevents others from viewing it
(favourites, recent lists, etc.) when they logon on to the same machine
later. I am not able to change this and have to live with it. And I
think that this a logical way of configuration.

>> I think it would be much better if the Lazarus settings would be
>> saved to the Lazarus directory by default.
> This is not always writable.
> There are many platforms, many ways to install lazarus and
> development machines are almost always special.

Yes. Therefore I think Lazarus should ask on install. Would be better
than letting users first lose settings. Some may blame other processes
for the loss (as I did first too) and only find out later that it's the
roaming profile. Especially, because all other software I know uses the
"Application Data" directory to store application and user specific
settings. That's what it is made for. Of course, this can again bring up
problems in profile size (which is limited to 10 MB in our envrionment)
so I think the only solution is to ask on installation where to put it.
This also sensitizes the user to the problem.

> No default will fit all cases.

That's true. Therefore the user should decide IMHO.