[fpc-pascal] How to use fpcmake

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 08:41:19 CEST 2009

Hi Guillermo,

I struggled with it as well. Henry Vermaak then created an example for
me and showed how to use it. The example he did was for the fpGUI
Toolkit project.

    Usage:
      - Compile fpmake.pas as follows:
             fpc fpmake.pas

      - To find out more about what fpmake can do and see some help
             fpmake --help

      - Build and install fpGUI
             fpmake install

        Note that if you installed FPC in a non-standard location on you
        system you need to tell fpmake which compiler and units to use. The
        following is all in one line:
             fpmake.exe -r c:\fpc\2.2.3\bin\i386-win32\ppc386.exe
                -UG c:\fpc\2.2.3\units\i386-win32
          or
             ./fpmake -v build -UG /opt/fpc/lib/fpc/2.2.3/units/i386-linux/

To view the actual fpmake.pas file, you can check-out fpGUI from
SourceForge, or view the specific file via the following url.

http://fpgui.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=fpgui;a=blob;f=src/fpmake.pas;h=80e0be3d69132ae12b2c4c970fe29e14c500cb14;hb=67f8fcc69fec98c12d2dac11980ed97d12d380c6

If you have problems with the full URL, you can also use this one:

    http://tinyurl.com/ce8s52

I have not read the documentation of fpmake for some time, but when I
did, it was not clear as to how to compile and use it. I'll download a
new copy of the documentation to see if things are improved - and
contribute some "newbie" help if nothing has changed.

Regards,
  - Graeme -