[fpc-pascal] Best method for code reuse?

Richard Ward roward at mac.com
Sun Apr 5 06:15:56 CEST 2009

Francisco Reyes writes :  (snipped)

 >>The sample code in the ref document doesn't document the simplest
case, but goes over what I think is a more complex example of a unit
that uses another unit.
It also doesn't have any actual code to do anything, so it is kind of
an abstract example . I was looking on the other docs to see if there
were any examples, but did not find any.

---  I see some people have answered and provided one or more
examples.   If you need more, I have several demo programs I have used
in my own learning of FPC which you are welcome to.   If interested,
email me privately.   Also, it took me a while to find out how to get
at the example sources for the code snippets included in the various
manual.   If you need these, I can try to save you some time searching
there as well.

 >>For starters I don't really follow the diagrams in the ref
document. It probably is some type of formal definition, but I am
neither familiar with it, nor seem to get it. Even when I look at a
simpler case like procedure declaration I can't follow those blocks.

---  I personally have never been able to grasp syntax diagrams too
well on first (or second+ glance) either and like to look at examples
and go back and forth till I understand it or think I do.   Examples
are good and my vote is for more examples but they do make the manuals
a lot lengthier which might be better served by tutorials.   And yes,
I have found it hard to find good tutorials due to broken links and
what not, and like you mention, looking for Delphi information can
yield good results.

 >>I am finding many contributed units with broken links to both the
code and the homepage URL.

 >>A few thoughts. We could clean all entries to which both the code
and the refering URL are broken. We could email the author and give
them a week or two, but if we get no replies then we should remove the
entry.

---  This is a good idea.   I would go further and suggest that some
of the wiki pages be reorganized to make them easier to navigate and
find things.   Since FPC is a community effort, that means that
someone has to take the time and do it and it usually comes down to
the "someone" being the one who suggests it.  Pointing a finger at
myself in this case :)

--- _If_ you have access to a Macintosh, I would suggest downloading
and trying out Ingemar's Lightweight IDE.   This IDE is VERY easy to
use and hides a lot of complexity which is especially useful for
newbie's .  You can concentrate on learning syntax and trying out
Pascal code immediately rather than having to initially wade through
linking peculiarities, makefiles and command line stuff ... unless you
like or need them for whatever reason.  - ROW