[fpc-pascal] Mac OS X api cals

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Aug 28 00:11:47 CEST 2008

On 27 Aug 2008, at 23:01, Damien Gerard wrote:

> Le Aug 26, 2008 à 3:49 PM, Paul a écrit :
>
>> i want to port one of my Delphi applications to Mac OS X.
>> Before I start (don't even have a Mac yet), I need to know if it's
>> possible at all.
>> It's a client side part of a remote admin program.
>> For this program, I need to control the system and get info about
>> the system like:
>> - check if user has admin rights
>
> It is an UNIX env. So admin rights is nearly meaningless.

Indeed. Use Authorization Services to query the system about whether
you currently have the rights to perform a particular action, and if
you don't to request the user to authorise you to do so (e.g. by
entering the login and password of an administrator user).

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Security/Conceptual/authorization_concepts

> Instead of reinventing the wheel you should use the Apple Remote
> Desktop or a VNC client (I recommend you a SSH tunnel)

And he can of course also look at the source code of existing VNC
servers, e.g. http://sourceforge.net/projects/osxvnc/

But since it's such low level stuff, it's likely to require
modifications for different OS versions and using an existing (and
nowadays system-provided) protocol is indeed probably the best way to
go.

Jonas