[fpc-pascal] Re: Pascal postscript reading library

Funky Beast funkybeast at pacific.net.sg
Wed Apr 23 15:04:19 CEST 2008

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 4:32 AM, Krishna <v.krishnakumar-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>  Hmm... vague your mail is. What kinda interpretation? If all you want
>>  is to slurp the text then it might be possible but then Postscript is
>>  a full blown programming language and people (mostly) come up with
>>  their own operators for showing text...
>
> Ok, I think it's time to explain a little bit more in detail what I am
> trying to do.
>
> I am building a CNC Machine. It's like a 3D printer, it can cut into
> wood and metal and build objects, or generate drawings (not with ink,
> but through cutting) into existing objects.
>
> The drawing will most likely come from CorelDraw. We are developing a
> printer driver which will then use a ready made virtual printer which
> is able to generate postscript as output, which will make our driver
> very simple to build. I could read the CorelDraw files directly, but
> I'd rather not be stuck to 1 drawing software, and CorelDraw may
> change their files in the future, but postscript is likely to remain
> stable.
>
> So at this point I need to convert postscript into Machine commands,
> i.e. move to start position, start drilling, move X, Y, move again,
> etc ... end.
>
> I don't need to parse everything from postscript, just the absolute
> minimum to extract the vectorial drawing coordinates, start point and
> end point.
>
> I am a little impressed that everyone says postscript is so complex,
> so I'm reevaluating which path to go, but I do have a competent
> software developer available to whom send the task, so the amount of
> work isn't that much a problem =P (as long as it is doable by 1 person
> in a couple of months)

Hi,

Looks like a CNC Machine Center. Why not export it to DXF?
It has all the ingrediants (endpoints, center of arc, arc radius, etc...)
you need to generate CNC machine codes. You can extend from the dxf component at:
http://www.efg2.com/Lab/Library/Delphi/Graphics/FileFormatsAndConversion.htm

PS: Wow ... you build CNC machines! Custom build or standard ones? Any links to
your product site?

HTH,
Funky Beast