[fpc-pascal] national support

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Tue Jul 11 10:23:05 CEST 2006

Fria Martin Mgr wrote:
> I am enthusiastic user of Free Pascal. I want ask a question, if there in
> Free Pascal exist the support for national environment. In czech there are
> letters with diacritics. They are not displayed correctly on the screen
> and on the printer. In Windows there is code page 1250 for these signs. Is
> there something in Free pascal?

I'm afraid that you'll have to provide little bit more information about
your problem. FPC as such certainly shouldn't prevent characters supported
on your platform to be displayed correctly. A simple example program would
be nice.

Important points to be aware of:

- Under MS Windows, different codepages might be used by default for GUI
applications ({APPTYPE GUI}) and console programs ({APPTYPE CONSOLE}).

- The particular behaviour for console programs differs for different
versions of MS Windows (in particular, all W9x based versions + WinNT 4.0
differs from Win2k and above).

- Behaviour of FPC programs depends on whether you use single byte storage
(like ShortString and AnsiString), or WideString.

- Some units (e.g. Crt) may affect behaviour of console output.

Tomas