[fpc-pascal] freereport and tiOPF

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Feb 25 17:26:39 CET 2006

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> tiOPF version 2 has already been converted to Free Pascal.

Excellent news !!

> I convinced
> my client to sponsor the work for their next project, and did it
> during Desember.  Get the latest tiOPF framework from the TechInsite
> SVN repository.

This is not yet official ? The latest stable version is 1.41 ?

> Regarding the persistence layers.  I only needed Firebird support, so
> started with that, but persistence layers are quick to write. Anyway,
> I started by using the SqlDB components that came with FPC.  I got it
> working, until I needed to execute a few sql statements under one
> transaction (and the sql statements had parameters).  It was a weird
> problem, I will attend to later.
>
> I also needed Server Services, which SqlDB doesn't support and found
> another free firebird component set called FBLib (Firebird Library).
> I created another persistence layer using these components and they
> work 100%.  I am currenty using these in my latest comercial
> application.

Any chance of donating this persistence layer to tiOPF ?

> I would still like to get the SqlDB components working 100%, as it
> will be easy to add more database vendor support to the framework.
> SqlDB is similar to Delphi's dbExpress.
>
> Peter Hinrichsen metioned the other day, that he will be using the
> Free Pascal compiler with the tiOPF framework for his first Linux
> project.  He normally uses Oracle and XML, so will most probably
> complete those persistence layers under FPC/Lazarus.

Even more excellent news :-)

> Regarding the visual components.  I opted to do the same as I have
> done with Kylix and the tiOPF.  I rather use the Model-Gui-Mediator
> (MGM) pattern, to hook the tiOPF objects to standard GUI components
> instead of converting the tiOPF GUI components.  Again, converting the
> components are not difficult, it is just much easier to get cross
> platform abilities when using standard components.  You can also swap
> out other components it the need arises without issues.  Look in the
> tiOPF SVN repository under Demos for my generic mediating views I
> created.
>
> On the reporting side.  I haven't decided what to use in my latest
> project yet.  I was going to give LazReport a go.  Under Kylix I used
> Report Manager.  There are talks about getting Report Manager to
> compile under Lazarus as well.

Lazreport is based on FreeReport (fastreport 1 or 2).
Fastreport 3 is a good engine, 2 was not very good because of
it's extensive use of global variables, but you can create
excellent-looking reports with it.

> Visit the news.techinsite.com.au  News Server if you want more support
> on tiOPF under Free Pascal and Lazarus.

Thanks for this update. You just clinched the decision to create
a new commercial application with Lazarus instead of Delphi :-)

Michael.