[fpc-pascal] another fpc RAD: MSEide

L505 fpc505 at z505.com
Wed Apr 19 20:28:27 CEST 2006

> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, ???? ??????????? wrote:
>
> > I do neither use Lazarus, nor MSEide, but if executable size is really
> > important, there is something called KOL (I didn't use it either). As I have
> > read, it's currently compilable by FPC.

KOL GUI stuff is not cross platform. But I have made a project for us all which
allows you to compile all the KOL non-GUI stuff on linux.
https://opensvn.csie.org/pspcgi/psp-1.6.0-release/Extras/CompactUtils/CompactUtils.pas

Very nice compact stringlist in there to use...
Standard Classes stringlist adds about 60K-70K to your exe/elf while CompactUtils
PStrList only adds maybe 1-5KB.

But for those people who think classes are just so superiour to old Pascal objects
and for those who only do pure object oriented programming (whatever the heck that is)
.. please ignore this project. This compactutils project is definitely not for you.

> > Speaking of bigger applications, I don't see much difference between 6 or 30
> Mb executables...
>
> Try downloading them over a 56k modem ;-)

And I personally don't like buying a new hard drive and CPU every year.. first
thing I do when looking for space on my hard drive is find all exes/elfs that
are bigger than 5MB, then I strip them. A few 30MB lazarus exes/elfs take up a
lot of space. Especially when you have to compile two executables. One for
linux, one for windows. That adds up to 60MB for each program, if you support
two OS's on one hard drive.

I buy a computer every 5 or so years, not every 6 months to support the latest
bloat. A $2000 computer each year could add up to a small downpayment on a
house. $2000 X 5 - $10,000 dollars. Not to mention laptop and LCD upgrades, and
motherboard failures. For those who say it is cheaper just to buy hardware -
then please tell me one advantage of using a compiled language. Speed and memory
are not important - because you can buy hardware. So give me one reason to use a
compiled language. No advantages. Source is more closed with binary files than
it is scripts.

(I'm playing devil's advocate. Personally, I like small compiled programs in
one package that I can choose to ship with or without sources. )