[fpc-pascal] another fpc RAD: MSEide

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Apr 19 21:09:33 CEST 2006

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, L505 wrote:

> > On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, ???? ??????????? wrote:
> >
> > > I do neither use Lazarus, nor MSEide, but if executable size is really
> > > important, there is something called KOL (I didn't use it either). As I have
> > > read, it's currently compilable by FPC.
>
> KOL GUI stuff is not cross platform. But I have made a project for us all which
> allows you to compile all the KOL non-GUI stuff on linux.
> https://opensvn.csie.org/pspcgi/psp-1.6.0-release/Extras/CompactUtils/CompactUtils.pas
>
> Very nice compact stringlist in there to use...
> Standard Classes stringlist adds about 60K-70K to your exe/elf while CompactUtils
> PStrList only adds maybe 1-5KB.

Please compare what is comparable:

The Classes unit contains more than just the TStringlist and TList.

It contains a whole lot of other classes as well: streams, collections,
components, threads, and the whole streaming system. All things which
are commonly used in Object Pascal programs.

I'm sure that if you lifted out TStringlist, removed the stream stuff
(or replaced with regular files) the size would be comparable.

Whether you use classes or objects is not really relevant to the size issue.

Michael.