[fpc-pascal] fpc 2.0 and DOM/xml under OS/2 gives me "Processterminated by SIGSEGV"

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Wed Sep 14 13:47:37 CEST 2005

Søren Ager napsal(a):
> On 09-09-05 23.35, Tomas Hajny wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I had your e-mails (together with many other :-( ) in backlog
>> from the time of my holiday...
>
> No problem - hope you had a great holiday.

Yes, it was a good one, although somewhat rainy. ;-)

>> For the first question - the best way to find exact place of SIGSEGV
>> etc. in FPC programs under OS/2 is to compile everything with debug
>> information (including RTL, FCL etc.)
>
> This needs a little more explaining. I have tried pointing fpc to the
> rtl/fcl source when compiling - but I always ends up with a compile
> error somewhere in the rtl (can't remember where right now). Is there a
> description of how to take the compiler add the source and then be able
> build your programs with full debug information.

Well, there are several ways how to do it. Just RTL compilation with debug
information is done by running "make debug" in the /rtl/os2 source
directory. The same could be done for /packages/base and /fcl.
Alternatively, it would be possible to build the whole thing (e.g.
including the compiler as well) in usual ZIP files using "make os2zip
SNAPSHOT=1 DEBUG=1" in the root directory, but you need to have checkout
of the "fpcbuild" SVN repository (just the "fpc" repository is not
enough). See the "Build FAQ" (http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/buildfaq.pdf)
for other options and additional information. If you find any
difficulties, just ask here.

>> either run them under (PM)GDB, or to open the generated core file in
>> (PM)GDB
>
> After being used to vp I am still struggeling with gdb :-( But I hope I
> will master it eventualy.

To be honest, I understand this completely... :-( The support which is
available for other FPC platforms is much better (IDE with debugger
support), but this is fairly difficult to achieve for OS/2 due to problems
with OS/2 gdb version (spawned from GDB version 4.16 ten years ago and
never brought up to date - the current GDB version is something like
6.30). Implementation of native debugger emulating the GDB interface would
be probably possible, but is a lot of work. I asked Allan about the
possibility to get access to VP/2 debugger sources after he announced end
of VP life, but he didn't respond to that e-mail, unfortunately. :-(

Nevertheless, if you have particular questions regarding (PM)GDB, just ask.

Tomas