[fpc-pascal] Lazarus and FPC integration

Agustin Barto abarto at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 15:07:13 CET 2005

On 10/30/05, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
<felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com> wrote:

> But those are reasons to mix the projects (not in code)! From Systems
> we can know that many people are not using FPC because they need a
> good gui IDE.

Errr...Lazarus is a good IDE/RAD? It certainly is a good start, but is
far from being comparable with other development enviroments. If you
ask me, it's too much like Delphi (that's really bad). Although 99.5%
of my apps use gui, I never use the visual editor (I gave up hoping
that the next click on the palette wouldn't kill lazarus). I'd kill to
have something like Eclipse or NetBeans for fpc.

I use Lazarus only because it's the only ide available. Don't get me
wrong, I absolutely love fpc and Lazarus, but I won't use it for any
of the projects at work (I use Java/Eclipse for that).

> Said That I think there should be 5 download options clearly visible
> for the users after clicking the Download link:
> 1 - the latest stable FPC + Lazarus IDE (take to a page with the liks
> to download for the various platforms, a short explanation on how to
> install and the links must point directly to the mirrors, not another
> download page to avoid the current labirint)
> 2 - the latest stable FPC without Lazarus IDE (same as above)
> 3 - development Beta FPC (instructions to get via svn)
> 4 - development beta Lazarus (instructions to get via svn)
> 5 - Download older versions of Lazarus or FPC

Sounds reasonable. But there aren't any lazarus stable releases yet :)
The platform version could be addressed like in the Squeak
(www.squeak.org) site. That is: Windows / Linux / MacOS / Other. btw,
that would be a good site layout for lazarus' site.