[fpc-pascal] Blockread and buffers

Peter J. Haas fpc.ml at pjh2.de
Fri Mar 25 21:35:10 CET 2005

Hi Peter,

on 2005-03-25T19:37:02+02:00 Peter wrote:
>> I know. But why I should explain it more detailed, if you anyway
>> disapprove such suggestions. :-(

> Most ppl want compatibility with Delphi. When we add a warning for
> uninitialized var parameters then there will be a lot of bug reports
> that Delphi doesn't warn in those cases and we will have to reject
> the bug report and explain it everytime.

Why do you annoy me?

In the last weeks we have had four discussions about hints.

The first problem was a bug and is solved.

Second: 'Type size mismatch, possible loss of data / range check error'
if I assign a double value to a single variable (resp. extended to
single or double). Your answer:

: Hints should not be enabled by default. They are only provided to
: help finding errors.

and later

: You are welcome to provide a clean solution (and patch) to hide
: hints. For us it has low priority.

Third: 'Parameter xxx not used'

Your answer:

: For us compiler-developpers it has low priority, IOW don't expect
: changes soon if we don't get any patches to support toggling specific
: Hints on/off.

Mabe you don't know it, but both hints are never generated by the
Delphi compiler. Beside that all three problems and certainly few more
could be solved with one common solution, which I have described
already. But why anybody should have any interest to develop a
solution, if he read statements like: "Sending a patch to implement
the missing feature that you want will increase the chance that it'll
be added to FPC."

wkr Peter.