[fpc-pascal] Freepascal newbie

Nikolay Nikolov nickysn at SexMagnet.com
Wed Nov 24 20:54:03 CET 2004

Gustavo Galembeck wrote:

>  As my inicial question in the list, I'd like to know
>the best way of developing a Win32 / Linux 2D game
>using Freepascal. Is the PTCPas unit a good choice?

I translated it from C++ in 2001 and it's good enough for me. :-)
It provides graphics output, keyboard input (key presses and releases)
and high res timers. If that's what you want - then it may do the job :)
However it doesn't do mouse input (yet) and sound output (there are some
sound libraries that can be used, of course).
Oh, and people tend to use SDL, so you may want to try that, too. (it's
written in C, but there are pascal bindings) I've never used it, though.

>Could such a game developed under WinXP be compiled
>directlly under Linux?

Yes. Actually I develop on Linux and when it's ready I compile in
Windows and it works :)