[fpc-pascal]Linux

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Mon Jun 10 15:48:43 CEST 2002

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Aitor [ISO-8859-1] Santamaría Merino wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A couple of questions about the linux compiler that I have remembered
> just now:
>
> (1)  In (at least older) versions of the Linux compiler I have seen that
> the compilation process has an additional phase,
> Compiling ...
> Assembling...
> Linking...
> (if I recall correctly the order). Does this mean that the compiler
> produces code for x86 for Linux platform, and that the code is then
> assembled and linked using thrid party apps? Is assembler code produced
> for other platforms, like GO32?

The compiler can use an internal assembler or an external one.
You can cross-compile if you want, but then you need the correct linker
for the target OS.

> (2) If I want to produce programs in order to use X, I have seen that
> there's the X-forms. Do we have units to link directly to X libraries?

Yes, see Xlib.

> I would like to use something like a Graphics unit (PutPixel, etc.) under
> X (also avoiding using Lazarus, or in general, avoiding linking code to
> a windowmanager).

It is probably possible using xlib, but using GTK or so would definitely be
easier.

Don't forget that X uses an event loop, so emulating a Graphics unit is
not going to be easy.

Michael.