[fpc-pascal]Drive detection (was: Intel ASM syntax problem)

AITOR.SM AITOR.SM at teleline.es
Wed Jun 27 11:03:04 CEST 2001

Hi Marco (and the rest),

there seems to be a problem with EDOS' drive detection routine. I
checked this program in several PCs:

====
program test;

uses EDOS;

var c,d: byte;

begin
        for c:=1 to 10 do  {no more than 10 drives!}
            begin
                 d := drivetype(c);
                 if d>0 then begin
                        write (chr(c+ord('A')-1),': is of type ');
                        case d of
                                 1: WriteLn ('remote');
                                 2: WriteLn ('fixed');
                                 3: WriteLn ('removable');
                                 4: WriteLn ('substed');
                                 5: WriteLn ('cdrom');
                        end
                 end
            end
end.
====

And in every cases:
Hard drives are DETECTED
Floppies and CD-ROMs are NOT detected. For example, I get:

C: is of type fixed

although I have also a floppy (A:) and a CD-ROM (D:). Same at home: I
have several visible primary partitions, which are recognised, but I
was unlucky with the floppy and cd-rom. In addition:
- I hear it is doing some noise in the floppy drive during the test (I
hope it's not the case that it only works if a floppy is inserted)
- The CD-ROM is not detected, regardless of wether I use a CD-ROM
driver+MSCDEX (in CONFIG and AUTOEXEC) or not.

I am interested in the DOS (Go32V2) case, not windows. Does any of you
have an idea of what is wrong, or have some extra code to do this?

Aitor