[fpc-pascal]BeOS

Tue Jul 31 23:07:46 CEST 2001

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Full_Name wrote:

> Quoting Michael Van Canneyt <michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be>:
>
> > This is not the case;  the problem is that no-one of the core developers
> > has BeOS installed; it's hard to work on a BeOS port then.
>
> I've already offered to burn you all a copy of BeOS R5 PE and include all of
> the additional tools that you'll need on the CDR. I'll do it for the cost of
> postage.. about £1.

The problem is not to obtain BeOS; The problem is (e.g. in my case)
that the hard disk is already filled with 5 OSes: DOS/Win95/WinNT/
Linux/Solaris. Putting a sixth means again resizing, reinstalling
some others.

> > Currently carl is also working on a m68k port; The compiler and the IDE
> > run on a m68k-linux box; I suspect that when that is finished, the POSIX
> > (and hence BeOS) port will be continued.
>
> Fair enough, but it still seems to be on the 'back burner'. I'm trying to get
> something concrete done. It would be nice for Carl to reply to the email I sent
> him however, even if it's a 'I'll get back to you'.

Carl has little time; I suspect it has slipped through; In any case,
we want to release 1.0.6 ASAP, and we are trying to include a BeOS and
Solaris port.

> I'll take another look at the FPC source this weekend. I don't want to waste
> too much time on it at the moment, because I'm more interested in getting the
> BeCL, stage 1 working.
>
> > Many members of the core team have day-time jobs; FPC is worked on
> > whenever possible, so patience please...
>
> I work a 40 hour week, have a pregnant wife, and 2 cats to feed. Believe me, I
> have little time myself.

Then you'll perfectly understand that there are sometimes delays ;)

As far as I understand it Carl will shift his priorities from the
m68k Linux port (Pierre Muller has done some excellent work there)
to the BeOS and Solaris port, so probably you'll notice some advances
in the coming days/weeks.

Michael.